- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 lbs. .beef chuck roast, in 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, minced
- ¼ c. chopped Italian parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ t. ground cloves
- ¼ t. cinnamon
- ¼ t. allspice
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 2 ¼ c beef stock
- 2 14-16 oz. Cans whole Italian tomatoes
- ½ c. pitted nicoise olives
- 4 t. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into ¼” strips
Heat oil in heavy pan. Brown beef on all sides, in batches. Transfer beef to bowl and set aside.
Decrease heat to medium, add onion and parsley, cook until onion golden, 10 min. Stir in garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, allspice.
Return beef to pan with onion mixture. Add red wine and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer 15 min. Add beef stock and simmer 10 min. Add tomatoes with juices. Add olives, rosemary. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook beef until tender, stirring occasionally, 1 ½ hrs. Add bell peppers, cover and cook until tender, 15min. Season to taste with salt, pepper.
Serve over rice, couscous or polenta (polenta is excellent!)