Zucchini Crudo, Michael Symon via Mary Cavanaugh
- 2 zucchini (about ¾ pound), thinly sliced
- 2 yellow summer squash (about 1½ pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- Grated zest and juice of 3 lemons, or to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
Combine the zucchini and yellow squash in a colander in the sink and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the salt over it. Toss to coat, and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes, no longer.
In a large bowl, combine the garlic and shallot, sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream, then the almonds and dill. Taste for seasoning and acidity (it should be nicely acidic). Add the zucchini and squash to the dressing, toss, and serve immediately.