Thanksgiving turned out to be very nice all things considered. Grace and Sophia flew in at 6:00AM Thanksgiving morning taking the red eye from Las Vegas after Sophia spent a week and a half with Grace. Claire and Corey came over for drinks around 5:00 and we converted our recently re-done garage into a a nice open air lounge. Claire and Corey stayed for socially distanced drinks and apps and then we loaded them up with food and they ate at home.
Thanksgiving 2020 menu
- Turkey on the grill. Used this brine recipe with about two cups of apple cider and the rest water. Brined the turkey starting Wednesday evening. Turkey was PERFECT. Grilled on M-O-M to L-O-L for about 3 1/2 hours for the 13 1/2 lb turkey. We got the turkey from Fresh Fork CSA along with their Thanksgiving bag full of good vegetables and other good stuff.
- Gravy. Used this recipe and this one to make it ahead of time and it turned out great. Beautiful dark brown color with nice flavor. I started it on WED and finished it THU morning. I used extra turkey wings and backs as well as the neck and heart from our turkey.
- Cranberry sauce. Perfect recipe from Bon Appetit that we have used for years.
- Regular sausage stuffing. Not as good as my Mom’s… but I keep trying.
- Claire made corn bread GF stuffing
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Root Vegetables – butternut squash, carrots, onions, sweet potatoes
- Brussels sprouts with pomegranate seeds and walnuts – inspired by NYT recipe this year – although I just realized I forgot to add the walnuts.
- Creme brûlée. I made these sugar coated cranberries for garnish that were super cool and tasty too. We didn’t make pumpkin pie and the world did not end 🙂