- 1 T. vegetable oil
- ½ lb. ground turkey (we usually use 1 lb.)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper (2 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 t. chili powder
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 1 cup (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 cups cooked black beans (we usually use 2 cans)
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice (we usually use white rice)
In a large skilled, preferable one with a nonstick surface, heat the oil over medium heat, add the turkey, and cook the turkey for about 5 minutes, breaking up the clumps of meat into small pieces.
Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic, and sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes or until they are softened.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, chili powder, soy sauce, and tomato sauce, stirring the ingredients until they are smooth. Add this to the turkey mixture, combining the ingredients well.
Stir in the beans, and cook the mixture over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Serve the black beans and turkey over the hot cooked rice.