The New Basics
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 T. slightly bruised fresh rosemary leaves or 1 T. dried
- 1 T. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 butterflied, boneless leg of lamb (4 to 5 lbs.)
Combine the wine, soy sauce, garlic, mint, rosemary, and pepper in a small bowl, and mix well. Place the lamb in a non-reactive baking pan. Pour the mixture over the lamb, cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours, turning the lamb frequently.
Prepare hot coals for grilling.
Drain the meat, reserving the marinade. Grill the lamb 4 inches above the hot coals, basting frequently with the marinade, about 20 minutes on each side. Check the lamb for doneness frequently after 30 minutes grilling. DON”T OVERCOOK!
Cut the lamb into very thin slices, and serve immediately.
Makes 8 portions