Another Aunt Evie and Uncle Tom Lake Chautaqua classic!
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 2 T. butter
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/8” thick rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 4 T. chopped fresh dill OR 1 ½ t. dried dill weed
- ½ t. freshly ground pepper
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
Place barley in medium bowl. Pour enough hot water to cover. Let stand for 20 minutes. Drain
Melt butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add barley, stock, half of dill, pepper and salt. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing).
Add lemon juice and remaining dill to soup. Taste and adjust seasoning.