Bon Appetit – July, 2001
Pesto-like flavorful sauce. Good on grilled shrimp or other seafood.
- 2 heads of garlic, top ¼ inch of each cut off and discarded
- 1 t. plus 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed (or squeeze of anchovy paste)
- 2 T. drained capers
- 2 T. coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 T. grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 375º. Place heads of garlic in small glass baking dish. Drizzle with 1 t. oil. Cover baking dish with foil. Roast until garlic is tender, about an hour. Cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skin into small bowl. Mash with fork.
Place mashed garlic, parsley, anchovy fillets, capers, basil and lemon peel in processor. With machine running, slowly blend in 2/3 cup oil. Season sauce with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Use at room temperature.)
Makes about 1 cup.