Tastes best sitting on the lawn at Chautaqua.
- olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1 ½” cubes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and into 1” lengths
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs. Fresh tomatoes, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ½ t. dried thyme
- 1 t. dried basil
- lemon wedges
Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté the eggplant until it’s lightly browned on both sides. (adding oil as needed) and until soft. Remove and place in large casserole and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Briefly sauté zucchini, add to casserole, salt and pepper.
Add more olive oil to the skillet and sauté the onions and green peppers, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaf, and tomatoes, stirring occasionally, and cooking about ten minutes more. Add to the casserole, sprinkle with herbs, gently toss, cover and bake for 20 minutes in a 325 oven. Serve hot or cold. If cold, serve with lemon wedges.