Martha Stewart Living
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 ½ T. granulated sugar
- 4 T. butter, cut into pieces
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
1. Heat oven to 350. In an electric mixer, combine brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, butter, and vanilla, and mix on medium-high speed until well combined. Add egg white, and mix until combined.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, and salt. Add to sugar and butter mixture, and mix on medium until flour is completely incorporated. Turn this mixture out onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and roll into a 1 ¾ by 8 ½ inch log. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
3. Remove paper, and slice log crosswise into ¼ inch thick pieces. Place remaining 1 ½ T. granulated sugar in a small bowl, and dip each piece of dough in sugar, coating all sides; transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet 1 inch apart. Bake about 14 minutes for chewy cookies; for crisp cookies, bake 2 to 3 minutes longer. Slide the paper and cookies onto a wire rack to cook completely.
To slightly reduce the number of calories in these cookies, coat just the edges with sugar.