- 6 large onions, cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 heads garlic cloves, separated and peeled
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 ½ t. dried thyme
- 1 t. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 t. salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 2 T. chopped fresh Italian parsley, chopped for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Place the onions and garlic in a shallow roasting pan, and add 3 cups of the chicken stock.. Sprinkle with the thyme, pepper, and coarse salt. Dot with the butter.
3. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 ½ hours. Stir once or twice while baking.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and puree the onions and garlic with the liquid, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. With the motor on, gradually add the remaining 2 cups stock and the cream. Pour the soup into a large saucepan.
5. Adjust the seasonings and slowly heat through. Do not allow the soup to boil. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Makes 6 to 8 portions