- 5 cups chicken broth, or more
- 3 cups water, or more
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 35 oz. Can tomatoes, chopped (save the juice)
- 3 carrots, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ t. EACH of basil, oregano, thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 2 T. cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
In large, heavy saucepan, combine the broth, water, tomatoes, tomato juice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce head, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Add rice and lentils. Cover, stirring occasionally and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Stir in parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper. If necessary, thin soup with additional hot broth or water.
Soup is at its best when refrigerated overnight.